Facebook share button

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Imari Sencha Imperial 2013 - The delicacy of the month - Green Tea Review

Edited post on the 22nd of August 2014 for the new tea blog

Four days, two posts. Not bad, right? I'll be starting class again next week, but by now I want to review another tea!

Yesterday I tested (my papilla are still very happy) the Imari Sencha Imperial 2013 by Chakoan. Right from the start, I'll let you know; I gave it 4.9/5!
Why is it .1 away from perfection? Because I still hope there is something better yet to come!

I've had delicious teapots of already prepared Gyokuro Tamahomare at the Camellia Sinensis Tea house and since it's a very expensive tea, I've been hoping to find its equal, in a more affordable format. Little did I know I would find it in a Sencha! I simply love this newly discovered tea and will make sure my house never runs out of it.

Here are my notes on it...


Imari Shencha Imperial 2013
by Chakoan

Dry leaf:
  • Smells like vibrant, very green, fresh cut grass and chocolate truffles
  • Fine needles, a few of them larger and flatter
  • The leaves are mostly dark green colour with the larger bits being medium green
  • Barely springy, breaks easily

1st Steeping Senchado technique
1.5 minutes - ~ 30 ml teacup of water - 2 heaped teaspoons - 80C

Liquor:
  • Light yellow-green colour
  • Little specks are floating on the surface
  • Not completely clear, but shiny
  • Smells like buttery chocolate (I guess like butter icing), warm rich truffles, seaweed and green
  • Intense like a good Gyokuro Tamahomare (It's that name again!)
  • Sweet buttery smell, vanilla
  • Aromatic and generous
Liquor:
  • Cooked veggies, asparagus, vegetal, almost like almonds
  • Light bitterness in the back of the mouth that is truly delicious
  • Buttery asparagus, seaweed, sweet, umami
  • A little astringent, oily, flowing with a roundness in mouth
  • Smooth and thick, it is ample, full and long in the mouth
Wet leaves:
  • Nice medium unfurled leaves, small pieces are found mixed amongst them
  • Shiny and soft-looking
  • Buttery asparagus smell that is almost mineral
2nd Steeping Senchado technique
30 seconds - ~ 30 ml teacup of water - the same 2 heaped teaspoons - 80C

Liquor:
  • A greener-yellow colour compared to the first steeping
  • Little specks are still found floating on the surface
  • Not completely clear, but shiny
  • Smells sweet like cupcake icing that is green tea flavoured
  • Buttery, green, milder in smell, seaweed is still a bit present, and white chocolate notes appear
 Taste:
  • Lighter and more watery (still not enough to deter me)
  • Cooked asparagus
  • Light umami taste in cheek
  • Unctuous with a roundness that is still exquisite, flowing, smooth and thick in mouth
  • Less ample and full than the first steeping but remains long in the mouth
  • A little astringency and very light bitterness to it

This tea would be my recommendation of the year if it weren't for the fact that the year is still young and I'm still hopeful. I'm waiting for this moment where I will sit, taste, and time will stop. I'll be shaken out of my marvellous torpor a few days later by an alarmed husband or a cat jumping on me thinking I'm a new scratching post that looks like the mistress.

Remember those links I shared on previous posts for yunomi coupons? well now is the time to try them and experience awe in the mouth! :)
Aufwiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment